Monday, June 29, 2009

Introducing Macie Kate

(I know the following will probably bore most of you to tears...I'm mainly writing it for myself so I don't forget the details of Macie Kate's birth.)
Macie Kate Wells was born on June 10, 2009 at 7:48 am. She weighed 7 lb. 4 oz. and was 21 1/4 inches long. As you can see in the pictures she was born with a full head of dark hair just like her big sister. We went in that morning at 5:00 for a scheduled c-section. Boy, was I nervous! I think it was because I had had so much time to think about the surgery - unlike last time when it was a rushed decision. Once we got there I was put a little at ease by my sweet nurse Kelly. Once we were in the operating room things moved quickly. Dr. Cox came in (with his assistant, Dr. De la Garza) and got right to work. The first incision was made at 7:43 and our sweet girl was born at 7:48. They worked quickly! Of course, it took another 30 minutes or so to sew me back up. As soon as she was born the doctors and nurses all sang "Happy Birthday" to our sweet girl. (a Dr. Cox tradition) The bad thing about c-sections is that you don't get to hold your baby right away. I got to see her for a second before they took her to the other side of the room to start working on her. A few minutes later I could hear some mumblings among the nurses and I was told that they were calling in a NICU nurse to come take a look at her. Apparently she was breathing fine with the oxygen, but her lips would turn blue when they took the oxygen off. Dr. Cox and Kelly tried hard to reassure me that this happens a lot with c-section babies and that she would be fine, but I was pretty scared. Wayne (the NICU nurse) came in to assess her and decided that he needed to take her to the transitional nursery to watch her for awhile. When he came over to tell me this I was shocked when he told me they would probably have her for 6 hours! 6 hours!!! I still hadn't even gotten to hold my girl! So they took her to the transitional nursery and Kacey went with her, leaving me behind to finish getting sewn up. When they were finished they took me to Recovery where I was alone for awhile listening to all of the other mothers in there with their crying babies. It was pretty rough, so I was happy to see my mom come in a little while later. At this point I still didn't know how Macie Kate was doing, but Kacey came in shortly after to tell me that she was going to be okay and breathing on her own. Apparently when they got her to the nursery she let out a big cry (probably because she missed her Mama) and got out most of the fluid that was in her lungs. They still just needed to watch her for a little while before I could have her in my room with me. They let the grandparents in a little while later to see her, and then took me by the nursery on my way up to my room. Wayne told me she was doing fine and even let me nurse her. Thankfully she didn't need to stay the full 6 hours and was in the room with us not long after we got there. I know many moms go through much worse, so I'm very grateful that our little girl is doing fine and there wasn't anything seriously wrong.















Posted by Picasa

No comments: